Frequently Asked Questions

Below you will find answers to many questions, as well as patient forms, and instructions on how to care for yourself after a visit and/or procedure.

Follow-up Appointments After Surgery

In general, you will be scheduled for appointments at the following intervals:

  • 2 weeks

  • 6 weeks

  • 12 weeks

How to Call the Doctor

  • During regular office hours Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 4:30 PM, patients should call the Queen’s office at 808-686-4670.

  • After office hours or on weekends or holidays patients should call our physician’s exchange number at 808-983-6000. A doctor is available for emergency calls when the office is closed.

When to Call the Doctor

You should call your doctor:

  • If you have a fever (temperature more than 101.4 F.) If you think you have a fever, please take your temperature with a thermometer before you call the doctor.

  • If you experience nausea and vomiting.

  • If your pain is not controlled even when you are taking the pain medication prescribed by your doctor.

  • If you experience an increase in bleeding or foul smelling discharge from your vagina.

  • If you experience drainage or increasing redness around your abdominal incisions.

  • If you are unable to urinate.

  • If you are unable to have a bowel movement despite therapy provided by your doctor.

  • Any time you feel something seems wrong or not progressing as anticipated.

What does FACS mean?

The letters “FACS” after a surgeon’s name indicates that he or she is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (ACS). Fellows of the College are board-certified surgeons whose education, training, professional qualifications, surgical competence, and ethical conduct have been reviewed and evaluated prior to admittance and have been found to be consistent with the high standards of the American College of Surgeons. Not all surgeons are accepted into Fellowship in the College and there are some surgeons who may choose not to become Fellows. The letters “FACS” after a surgeon’s name indicates that the surgeon has submitted to a process to obtain voluntary credential and performance evaluation by their peers.

What does FACOG mean?

The letters “FACOG” after a surgeon’s name indicates that he or she is a Fellow of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Fellows of the College are Diplomates of the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology. They have graduated from an acceptable medical school, completed an ob-gyn residency program within the geographic confines of the ACOG, are board-certified, and have an active license to practice medicine.

What is a Urogynecologist?

A urogynecologist is an obstetrician/gynecologist who specializes in the care of women with pelvic floor disorders. This field of medicine is also known as Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery. Dr. Steven Minaglia is certified by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ABOG) in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery. Dr. Minaglia has also completed a 3-year, ABOG-accredited fellowship prior to certification in the subspecialty.

The pelvic floor is the muscles, ligaments, connective tissue, and nerves that help support and control the rectum, uterus, vagina, and bladder. The pelvic floor can be damaged by childbirth, repeated heavy lifting, chronic disease or surgery.

Although your primary care physician, Ob/Gyn, or urologist may have knowledge about these problems, a fellowship-trained urogynecologist offers considerable expertise. You should see or be referred to a urogynecologist when you have problems of prolapse, and/or troublesome urinary and/or fecal incontinence or when your primary doctor recommends consultation.

Other problems for which you or your doctor might think about consulting a urogynecologist include: problems with emptying the bladder or rectum, pelvic pain, sexual dysfunction, and the need for special expertise in vaginal, vulvar, and/or labial surgery.

After medical school and a four-year residency in obstetrics/gynecology, a urogynecologist must complete a fellowship in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery. This is an intensive, three-year surgical fellowship concentrating on treatment of the entire female pelvis including the vagina, uterus, bladder, and rectum.

In the past, women had to see several physicians to treat different components of pelvic floor disorders. Now, women can see one physician who is trained in managing the entire pelvic floor.

Urogynecologists are specialists in the evaluation and treatment of conditions that affect the female pelvic organs, and the muscles and connective tissue that support the organs. Their additional training focuses on the surgical and non-surgical treatment of non-cancerous gynecologic problems.


Below you will find the necessary forms to complete. Please download, print, and bring the completed forms during your first visit. If you are attending our clinic for urinary incontinence (leakage of urine) please complete the New Patient Health History above as well as the other forms.


New Patient Health History


Bladder Diary


UDI-6, IIQ-7

Self Care After a Procedure